Winter break in our romantic cabin at Tohickon Valley

Sunday, March 13th, 2011
Cabin at Tohickon

First week of March was Villanova’s mid-semester break, and we were out of here. Reserved an isolated little cabin at Bucks County’s Tohickon Valley Park (electricity, no running water, outdoor privy) for four nights. We “hiked in” to the cabin and had the park essentially to ourselves. Cabin felt luxurious compared to the winter camping that we sometimes do at this time. Sun, rain, cold…we had all the weather Mother Nature can throw at you, and we enjoyed it all. We brought our own large sleeping bag for bedding, but found that a double bed mattress was provided and so we didn’t have to lug in our pads. Turns out that the other cabin had single bunks (so NOT us), so I’m glad it was closed for the season.

We arrived Thursday afternoon and got settled into our luxurious quarters (newly installed electric stove and fridge). Fran had brought lots of food. There was no food store for miles, and we didn’t use the car once during our stay.

Friday was brisk, and we hiked along the high rocks trail to Ralph Stover State Park a few miles away. Always a beautiful and breath-taking view, to look at the creek hundreds of yards below (straight down).

Saturday was warmer and we hiked along the creek in the other direction until we arrived at Point Pleasant on the Delaware River. In the almost-spring warmth, we enjoyed our first double-dip ice cream of the year, at the little store there. We then hiked downstream along the canal tow path that parallels the Delaware River until we came to a pedestrian bridge and crossed into New Jersey. We explored New Jersey and then happily hiked back to our cabin.

Wading in Tohickon Creek

Sunday was rainy, but that didn’t stop us from exploring Tohickon Creek, including checking for any mushrooms that might have popped out as a result of the previous rainy night. Always fun to jump along the rocks and see how far you can go without falling in or getting totally wet.

Monday morning was time to leave. The creek was in flood stage by then, but our cabin was well above the flood plain. I carried some of our equipment up to the car and discovered that it would not start. We called a tow truck, and it started readily with a jump start. The very kind operator refused to take any money for his efforts – that is SO unlike the city and what we get used to here. It’s good to remember this. We drove home uneventfully, and Pacifico Ford later “fixed” the car by removing a defective aftermarket anti-theft device that they had installed (without our knowledge) on the car when we purchased it new. So all’s well that ends well.

We had a great time, and I think this getaway was important for us at this time. I take some credit for having pushed for it and made the arrangements. Fran gets lots of credit for making great food, particularly considering that I had brought plenty of survival food and told her she was under no obligation to cook.